Industry and consumer organizations have extensive organic information available. I’m not going to share most of it, though, because corporate organic has become difficult to recognize as safe for field, table, and fiber.
- Organic Consumers Association has a clear, active website and a large membership base from which to launch effective educational and legislative campaigns. If you want to hear the real deal on organics NOW, start here.
Organic for Children
Many of the organic resources for children involve organic gardening, so get out your gloves and your bugs. Whether you have a big yard or you live in a highrise apartment, you can encourage children to nurture plants naturally to learn about organic gardening.
- HDRA, a UK charity for organic gardening, horticulture and food, has resources to help establish organic gardens for schools.
- The Edible Schoolyard expanded from Berkeley throughout the U.S. to promote school gardens, including specific lessons.
- The US Department of Agriculture has Sustainable Agriculture resources for K-12 teachers.
- The Center for Ecoliteracy, founded by Fritjof Capra, seeks to educate for sustainability. This includes community and systems thinking. They offer rich resources for sustainability education.
Why Choose Organic Cotton for Diapers?
At no point in the growth or production of organic fibers are chemicals used. Even in the absence of pesticides, herbicides and insecticides, though, cotton is an intense crop. Cultivation takes a lot of water, which is a big issue in some areas where cotton is grown in the U.S., such as the desert southwest. Cotton is, however, an excellent fiber for diapers—soft and absorbent.
Organic cotton can be an environmentally friendly choice, especially if the farms where the cotton is grown practice responsible water management. As long as hemp production is restricted in the U.S., if you are looking for a domestically-produced fiber, organic cotton is your best choice.
Fuzbaby Organic Cotton Cloth Diapers
All currently available Fuzbaby cloth diapers are produced from certified 100% organic cotton.
Best function for Baby. For a combination of softness and absorbency, you just cannot beat cotton.
Sustainability for the Farm. Organic cotton is far better for the land and the people who work the land.
Purefuz cloth diapers: Colorgrown and Organic Cotton
In the past we made Purefuz diapers from organic cotton in either woven fabrics or knit terry or fleece. Sometimes, when the diaper muse visited, we even found some great colorgrown organic fabrics for limited edition diapers. See hand-painted and hand-printed Elemental organic cloth diapers and Diaper Garden sets in our Diaper Art Gallery.